Sunday, June 5, 2011

Fried Daylilies

Last year I discovered that daylilies were edible (after having them in my garden for about 4 years), but I hadn't done anything with them other than picking and eating them fresh in salads.  I picked a few flowers yesterday and refrigerated them to wait for a few more to bloom.  I had 10 flowers today, so I decided to make some fried daylily blossoms.  They were quite interesting to try.  A friend asked me if the taste was describable.  I told her that it had the texture of an onion ring but with a plain batter taste and the flower itself was just slightly sweet.  Overall the first batch was mostly bland, but now I know that I can modify the recipe for future batches.  I have lots more daylilies waiting to bloom.

I found the recipe here.

Fresh daylilies and prepared batter.

Frying daylily.  I cooked them one at a time so I wouldn't get distracted and none would burn.

Finished product.



Daylily Nutrition Facts (fresh from the plant):
Per 100 grams
(per 100g)
Hemerocallis fulva

Calories:  42
Protein:  2g
Fat:  .4g
Calcium:  87mg
Phosphorus:  176mg
Iron:  1.2mg
Sodium:  24mg
Potassium:  170mg
Vitamin A:  3,000 I.U.
Thiamin:  .16mg
Riboflavin:  .21mg
Niacin:  .8mg
Vitamin C:  88mg




No comments:

Post a Comment